Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009
Jamison the Vampire, Mason the Bumblebee, and
Trae the Master Chief



















Mason stripped out of his costume and couldn't even
make it to his bedroom because he was so worn out.













Halloween this year was a nightmare. Of course, isn't that the point of Halloween, to bring all our nightmares to the forefront of our minds? This year, Halloween awakened us sunny and beautiful... How deceitful it was.
I got the kids going, and started working on Jamison's vampire cape. We had searched and searched earlier in the week for a costume, but everywhere we went we ran into the same scenario of vampire costumes being sold out. No worries, Mom is here to save the day. We ran to the fabric store and purchased satin and fleece to make a warm, but realistic vampire cape.
So of course, I had no time to work on it during the week, it seems whenever I pulled it out I would immediately have dogs and our cat, or the kids rolling all over my work area, but I would have it done for him to go trick-or-treating later that day. So I cut, and I ironed, and I sewed, until it was done and ready to go.
Item one done and on to the next thing on my list... hemming Trae's costume. His costume sagged all the way down to his knees and so I thought I would use some of that no-sew tape to hem up the waist a bit for him. Can I tell you how useless this tape is?? Or maybe it was user error? Or maybe it didn't like the costume material, but regardless, the tape did not work. Luckily, I had my trusty sewing machine out and went to work.
Finally it was time for some fun. Time to get the pumpkins out and start carving. We had planned to do this days before, but life kept getting in the way and we just didn't have time. We had a great time, even though we were a bit rushed.
After this activity the boys were ready to get into their costumes. Jamison sat ready for his vampire teeth to be placed on his teeth. We mixed the putty and applied as directed, but it wouldn't stick. No worries, we had more, mixed the rest up and applied, but still no luck. Okay, not to stress because I have my handy hot glue gun at the ready. No one was burned during this process, but a lot of tears were shed because not even the hot glue would make these vampire teeth stick to his teeth. So he was forced to reapply his make-up for the 4th time that evening and go toothless.
At this point, I'm afraid I got a bit impatient with my lovely husband and he decided it would be wise to go to the store for some items that I had asked him to purchase several hours before. So while he ran to the store, I made the pizza dough and pre-baked it so it would be ready to put the toppings on later that evening at Jason and Aimee's.
When Jamie arrived home, the boys and I decided to make a run to a few of the neighbors'. Not 5 minutes later, I witness Jamison falling flat on his face, skinning his knees and hands. Poor kid. At this point, we decide to blow this joint and head to Jason and Aimee's to hang out.
It's amazing what good friends can do to lift your mood! We ended up having a fabulous time there and even got the kids out to do a bit of trick-or treating.

3 comments:

  1. The costume turned out cute, you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty close to my halloween. Only it was a week before. 3 parties and a wedding! unfinished costumes and one of the parties was canceled at the last minute. Although we found that out after we made dinner and got ready. luckily we had plenty more to do.

    ReplyDelete